28 July 2010

two is twice as nice

just a couple of random thoughts.  Before we had Birdy, I wondered how it would be to have two children.  Of COURSE we'd love baby number two, but really, there was no way that baby number one wouldn't be our favorite.  After all, how could any one person be asked to live up to all that baby number one is?  I went forward and trusted that there was enough love to go around and that we wouldn't completely ruin  baby number two.

So here's what it's really like for me:  when I'm with Nora alone, I am positive that she is my favorite.  Like, giddily positive and how could anything or anyone in the world compare to my first baby.  And then... when I'm with Birdy alone, I feel almost guilty for how SURE I am that she is, indeed, my favorite and imagine if we hadn't have had her wouldn't life be so empty.  And when I'm with them together?  Well then I'm sure I won the universal lottery to have been given TWO children such as these...  TWO.   Me!  Me - who isn't 'lucky,' me - who has a birth defect and was told by a doctor at the age of 17 to never have children, me - who is adopted and doesn't know much useful genetic information, ME, unbelievably me!  The lottery is not fair, I didn't deserve it, I certainly didn't earn it, but damned if I didn't win it.

10 comments:

Hez said...

I would like to disagree, I am certain you did deserve this lottery win.

Hef said...

Aw, I agree with Hez! Your girls are just a reflection of their parents.

Hef said...

And, ohemgee, J and I often discuss how it must be impossible for us to get another child as awesome as the one we already have. (Don't tell Josie.)

Rachael said...

You sure did deserve them and they got a wonderful mommy & daddy in return :) You have 2 beautiful girls. What an amazing blessing! Thanks for the reminder on how 'lucky' we are. :)

Gina said...

Girl, you won. BIG.

Gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

I think the real winners of the lottery are those absolutely gorgeous girls of yours!! They won you for their mommy!! You all deserve each other!!

Tiff said...

not only did you win the lottery - your kids hit the biggest jackpot of them all!!!!!! <3

Lolita Breckenridge said...

You deserve the lottery winning and your girls won the lottery too with you as their mommy. This post made me cry while smiling. I love you.

Jacque said...

I agree with Dawn. The girls have won, and so have you. You totally deserve it.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com