25 August 2010

thogging and learning

i can't blog because i haven't blogged so i can't blog.  Instead, I think of a few things a day I would like to blog about (thogging) and then don't do it because if it's not about the girls then I feel guilty not updating them first and if it is about the girls, I want to get it right.  I am well aware that no other posts have been so well thought out and multi-drafted -- in my imagination, I am much more on top of things.

So here is today's out of order, not most important, not anything really - thing.  Today I got to meet another mom and family from Nora's online playgroup  (more on that in a minute.)  In preparing for it I became nervous, as I do when meeting new people.  Am I too fat?  Too silly?  Not smart enough?  But mostly, I worry about my speech impediment.  Like, what if they can't understand me?  Should I 'warn' her ahead of time?  Am I an ungrateful narcissist?  Am I being ridiculous?  My solution to this thought process was to call my two of my dearest friends and get their opinions.  This is, and always will be, the best solution to many a problem and  I'm lucky to have it.  Only this time it occurred to me that 1)They don't have a cleft palate and speech impediment, I do; and 2)If I was going to get precious time to talk to either one of them, I didn't necessarily want to waste it on such negative trivia.  So it is that at the age of almost 38, I figured out that I don't need a popular vote, approval, or social safety in order for a decision to be right for me.  I am sure that to most of you this is an obvious truth, but I am often sure that others know better or are in the very least laughing at me or judging me.  This is profound for me.  Even if everyone disagrees with me, I may still be doing just the thing I should.  Wow.

When I was pregnant with Nora, I joined an online 'expecting club.'  It was a group of ladies who, like me, were all due in October 2006.  Occasionally, it was helpful but I mostly found it clique-y and stupid.  When Nora was born 7 weeks early, I  found myself even further alienated from that group and checked out the September 2006 Expecting Club.  I immediately liked the group better.  Amazingly (or not), I am still in contact with many of these women.  I feel so lucky to be a part of something that so simply (but almost magically) just worked.  This has gone way beyond our initial bonding over pregnancy, delivery, and newborns -- these women have regularly made me laugh so hard I choke, been fun and snarky with me, gotten me through grief and loss, shared the tedium of every days, taught me about parenting, community, everyday home skills, life, generosity, strength, love and have, generally, made me a better person.  Four years later, I count them among some of my best friends.  Today marked the tenth woman I was able to meet in person.  Can't wait to make it more!

7 comments:

Rachael said...

Sarah: All I can say is that the first time I really got to know you (Octoberfest at your BFF's house :) - you were the coolest person there. You were a great person to talk to and so fun at the party. Don't ever worry about what someone will think of you. I honestly wondered if I was even cool enough to hang out with you :) Also, love your new word "thogging" - I totally do the same thing all the time :)

Jacque said...

I want to be the 11th! ;) I thogg too (great term!).

Dawn said...

I am very grateful for being one of those 10 lucky ladies!! I am so glad Nora was early and you jour our group! I love you.
My first impression of you was that you were such a kind and thoughtful person....and then a couple hours After meeting you I thought you were so funny....and just as funny as you seemed to be on-line! In my opinion those are your qualities that stand out and leave an impression!!

Kimberly said...

You want to make it 11, just road trip to Canuckistan. You know you want to. For the record, you are uber cool and if someone doesn't think so, I'll join in and laugh at them with you for being so ridiculous. <3

Unknown said...

Sweetie, I love your "speech impediment." I always thought it was endearing. You are not fat. And you are one of the most intelligent, kind, loving women I know. I don't know what I'd do without you. Especially lately. I love you.

Shannon said...

I am "thogging" all the time. Love that term!

I'm so jealous about meeting women from the group. Anyone ever going to come out to Alberta, Canada?!?! ;)

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Creating the term "thogging" is proof of your brilliance.

And I'm so jealous of those 10 women I could spit. If I wasn't preggo, weren't we going to meet up in Vegas or somewhere in the fall? We should plan an IV/SF convention next summer.

What say you? *I* wanna hear your endearing "impediment"!!!!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com