28 January 2010

car seat advice - help

needed. I currently have an old Graco infant seat that I used for Nora. It was a hand-me-down from c. and I'm considering buying the Britax Chaperone to replace it. I'm weighing all options and really, just getting nowhere. I need to quiet my brain over it and just make a decision. Recap:

We have this: (only ours looks more.... used) Its an old hand me down Graco model that is not yet expired but will be soon (although not before we'd be done with it.) We never use the stroller with it.
I'm considering this: It's the Britax Chaperone infant car seat and runs about $230. Babies R Us is having their trade-in event which means I could get 25% off if I purchase before 02/20. Not a problem -- if I'm going to get a new car seat then the sooner the better.

Issues
  • when I think about replacing it, I feel guilty because if its really not safe enough then why the hell did I have my precious Nora in it? Here's why: I didn't know better and by the time I started to learn more, Nora was in a new seat.
  • Birdy is 3 months old, about 15 pounds and 25 inches long. The new seat would go to 30 pounds and 32 inches. How long would she really remain in an infant seat? 3 more months? 6 more months? What amount of time would be worth switching? With Nora, I hated the baby 'bucket', so I changed her quickly to a Britax convertible, and just used a sling to transport her. Nora loved the sling -- Birdy does not. This time around I still think that the baby bucket is a heavy pain in the ass. Only I also think its really useful. I can put it down, if necessary, to manage Nora, I have a 'place' for Birdy to sit in the library or other places, I can bring Birdy in sleeping from the car, and I can get Birdy all ready before we ever have to go outside.
  • I have crazy worries of Birdy being hurt. I don't know if this is some sort of hormonal new(ish) mama thing or some sort of universal warning system that I should heed. Irrationally, because I've now considered a new seat, I now torture myself with the thought of what if something happened and I didn't get her the best seat?
  • We don't have the money for the seat lying around but it wouldn't kill us and I suppose I'd be able to sell it on Craigslist when we're done....
  • Here are the other seats we have. Nora's Britax Frontier: , a Britax Marathon (Joe's car) , and a Britax Boulevard (Joe's car)

Help me please. What would you do?

3 comments:

Our Beautiful Life said...

Hey we have the Shannon too! I love it.

I, personally, would not buy another infant carrier type seat, especially for that amount of money. I would invest it in another Boulevard since she will be in it for the long haul. You can always put your old infant seat in the trunk of your car or something to use while you are in the store or wherever, since she doesn't like the sling.
Interestingly - Catie and Matthew are the same as Nora and Birdy. Catie loved to be worn, Matthew haaaaaaates it.
Good luck with your decision!

Jacque said...

My reasoning for when Phoebe was a baby: She's my last baby, I'm buying her the carseat I want her to have. Crazy maybe, but I'm not sorry. You'd feel better and the decision would be over if you just bought the new one. You can always sell it when she outgrows it.

Unknown said...

Personally, I wouldn't buy another infant car seat. The one we will be using for Griffin is a hand-me-down, but I'm not especially worried about it being unsafe. Have there been specific reviews/warnings about the one you have not being safe? What I'm hoping is that Griffin will last a year in the hand-me-down infant car seat and then we can move him to Rylie's convertibles and buy her the convertible boosters. Our thing is that since Dan does the drop off in the morning and I do the pick up in the afternoon, we have to have 4 car seats. Which means buying a new one really means buying TWO new ones. At $200+ each, that's a lot of money to spend on a seat that would only be used for a year or less. Anyway, that's what we decided on.

You should go with your gut. Your mommy instincts won't let you down. <3 <3

 
Template by suckmylolly.com