07 August 2008

open letter to recruiting sgt rosas cantu

honestly, i can understand why you won't take or return any of my numerous calls. If I made my living lying to poor children in exchange for years of their life (if they're lucky) and really, quite possibly, their actual life, I surely wouldn't want to answer for it either. Do you even remember Becca? She's the beautiful, vivacious 17 year old who was confused about what to do with her life. I'm sure she doesn't stand out much as that definition rightfully fits many a seventeen year old. Also, if you really had seen her, I need to believe that you could have never done what you've done.

A month after her 18th birthday, we invited you to sit with our family and have Sunday dinner. While there, you answered some questions and avoided many others. Remember telling Becca that she'd never have to cut her hair as long as she tied it up? Ha. It seems so minor compared to some of your whoppers now, doesn't it? I remember it. I remember you pulling your hair down, swinging it around and showing us how you used to have it down to your bottom when you were first in the Army. Funny thing is that Becca had to cut her hair before she ever went to basic. Oh, and here's another one Sgt Rosas/Cantu whateveryourname is "If the army changes your contract, then it's void and you can get out" That's a direct quote from you. I wrote it down as you said it because I knew you were a liar. When I pointed out to you that the actual contract that you wanted this child to sign said, "Laws and regulations that govern military personnel may change without notice to me. Such changes may affect my status, pay, allowances, benefits, and responsibilities as a member of the Armed Forces REGARDLESS of the provisions of this enlistment document.", you said, "Oh, but they NEVER do that." And that little girl who is my very heart believed your disgusting lies.

I won't go item by item. Because really, what's the point? Rather, I'll fast forward to two nights ago... when I get a message around 4:00 pm CST that they're changing her contract and bonus and she doesn't know what to do or when she'll get to a phone again. There's no one (including you) that I didn't call. And not one of the persons who actually took my call (not you, of course) was 'able' to help. Becca was able to sneak in a hysterically crying phone call that night. When faced with the new contract, she told them, "Fuck you. I'm going home and going to college." That's when your friendly colleagues filled her in on the TRUTH. They told her that her recruiter must have misinformed her... She's now headed for basic and training in a field that she has no interest in. For FIVE years (oh yeah, remember that trick? She wanted to enlist for three, but you told her that in order to be in her chosen field, it had to be five...) Seriously, how much do they pay you?

The saddest part for you is that you are fully aware of the truth and continue with your sick, predatory actions. Purchasing poor kids for war. What the fuck? It's seriously more difficult for me to understand than say, the actions of a serial killer. In the absence of mental illness or horrible abuse or lack of mental capabilities, you go forward committing crimes against one poor family after another. I hear you're pregnant now... I hope that your newborn child will remind you of your humanness -- of everyone's humanness and therefore, their inherent value.

Her name is Becca. And she's precious beyond all earthly treasures.

5 comments:

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Oh Sarah - - I'm so sorry. Have you tried congressional reps? Senators? I have no ideas. Hugs.

Small Shake said...

OH. MY. God. Get 'em Sarah! I'm going to start calling you "Mrs. Rawr". I'm so sorry :( (((hugs))). I wish I could say I can't believe it, but with my BIL in the Army right now...I can. It's sad. :(

Tiff said...

That is absolutely horrible and ridiculous! I will keep Becca and your family in my thoughts!

Dayna said...

Sarah,
Ugh, I am SO sorry to hear this. It makes me MAD as hell! Of course there are some govt. employees you can trust such as myself who dedicate their lives to protecting children. I only wish there was something I could do for you n Becca. My heart goes out to you...

Mandyfaith said...

E-mail me... I may have an idea. kygirl511@yahoo.com.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com