23 September 2008

we're hoping the mira in miralax stands for miracle

almost from birth, nora has cried when she has to poop. It has only worsened as she's grown. At one of her first checkups, Joe asked the pediatrician if maybe she had experienced pain one time and learned to be afraid of it. The doctor said it was impossible because children don't form body memories like that until they are two or, more likely, three. So, each appointment, I bring it up and each appointment, I am told that she is fine and will outgrow it. She is now two years old and its just as bad as ever. Thanks to Steph, who gave me a friendly nudge, I made an appointment with a pediatric GI specialist at the University of Chicago. And guess what the diagnosis is? At some point in little Nora's life, pooping hurt her and she learned to fear it. She now holds it which only causes more pain. Its a vicious cycle and hopefully, Miralax will help her relearn that pooping is cool. Our pediatrician is so fired. I'm just sick that allowed my baby to have daily pain for two years. Sick.

An interesting side effect of Miralax is some vicious gas. Today at dance class the other moms were all sniffing around like what the hell is that? What could I do?
I just sniffed around with the same sour pusses they had.

7 comments:

Jacque said...

Poor Nora. I hope it is a miracle and pooping is cool again.

Momma Trish said...

Pooping IS fun. I love to poop. C'mon Nora. Poopin is pimpin.

Anonymous said...

Poor Nora! I hope it works for her!

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Poor sweetie. As for body memory - that is bullshit that they don't have it. Brody just last night held up his right arm and told me "owie elbow," remembering, no doubt, when the pin broke out of his arm. Good for you for getting her some relief. Next should maybe be some incense for the gas.

Tiff said...

We are going through the same thing with Makenzy right now. I did two weeks of Philips Milk of Magnesia and it has done wonders! I haven't given it to her in about a week and she has gone everyday by herself....no crying or pain! I hope all goes well with Miss N! Congrats on firing that quack! :)

Cindy said...

We have the same problem. My ped dismisses it too. Is that stuff over the counter? Yogurt seems to work for my daughter, if I can get her to eat it.
I had to laugh at the gas and sniffing around like you were just as offended as the rest of the moms. Bad!

SaRaH said...

Cindy, Miralax is available OTC. Nora takes half the dosage cup diluted in 4 ounces of water each day. Or, she is supposed to. There is supposed to be no flavor to it, but we've had trouble getting it down. She actually takes it diluted in Sunny D. :P Its been an amazing difference. Nor more tears!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com