becca turns nineteen today. How I wish she was here to celebrate this wonderful day with us. I still remember the day my mom came home with her. Her little button nose, tiny body, and HUGE personality. She was and is a (spirited) joy. At this point, I'd be grateful to be able to call her. I did get to talk to her on Saturday which was nice. She is in "warrior rehab" because she shattered both of her heels. Once she is done 'rehabbing' she will have to re-do basic and then move on to her actual job training. Warrior rehab is nice because she gets her phone on weekends and even gets passes to the PX. However, it's incredibly boring and still very restrictive.
I mailed her a box of party hats, blowers, bubbles, balloons, and books and she got to open it, but they took everything but the books away -- there are no birthdays in basic, private. At least she got to open it which really was the fun part of it. She asked me to get her a watch that is digital and tells military time and, as proof of how much she's assimilated (for better or worse), when I asked her what style she'd prefer she replied digital that tells military time. It is on its way to her but it all fills me with conflict. My parents and even Becca herself, say things like, "maybe this will work out for the best." I feel like jumping up and down and screaming that forced adaptation, survival, and possible success does not erase the criminality of the actions that got her in this place. I don't have the energy to be a one woman warrior. Please just let her be safe or I might lose my mind.
Another rant-in-the-making... she went to the PX this weekend and set up her own account with Verizon. She got a new phone and a decent plan and paid six HUNDRED dollars for it. When I set up the same thing on line for a new plan, I would have been charged $80. She's mailing me the paperwork and has learned (I hope) her lesson to go ahead and consult one of us before entering any financial agreements. I'm just sick that the military would allow such predatory capitalism on their own posts for new recruits. I'll reserve taking down the entire company and government until I see the paperwork and understand it.
I'm going to find some pictures of Becca as a baby and scan them. Cuz I have nothing else to do. :P
15 September 2008
happy birthday becca
Posted by SaRaH at Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Happy birthday Becca! I'm also sending P&PT for her safety!
I think we should storm the base in a blacked out van and kidnap her back.
Post a Comment