04 November 2009

37

yesterday was my 37th birthday and i'm only noting it here because it seems like something i should record. Birdy did not go to bed the night before so the little bit of sleep I did get was in the recliner. I spent most of my birthday yearning for a nap in a sleep deprived stupor. I woke up to balloons and my favorite donuts waiting for me for breakfast and then at lunch, my sister, Sue, brought my favorite lemon rice soup from a local restaurant, then Joe made tacos for dinner. Yum... I received nice gifts and Nora was so excited to surprise me with her drawings. All wonderful. I just wish I wasn't fighting complete exhaustion and could enjoy it all.

Birthdays are always wonky for me. I think that I should feel birthday special on that day and most years, I do not. Then after it passes, I think I missed some special moment that I now have to wait an entire year to have another shot at doing it right. Now that I write it, I realize how childish it is. Perhaps my feelings about birthdays (could skip them, really) are just grown up and normal. But then another part of me fears being someone who doesn't celebrate joyfully and misses out on the best life has to offer... OH, whatever. I'm sleep deprived and probably shouldn't be trying to think.

3 comments:

Hef said...

I can't imagine making the most of any sort of celebration in that chaotic new baby haze.

I'd love to hear how the transition from one to two is going for you guys.

And I think it's very cool that we have the same birthday.

Hez said...

Happy Birthday...belated. Birdy is beautiful!! The pics are sweet:) She will start to sleep...give her a few more weeks! I know I was so tired at first that I thought I may never get to sleep again, you will though. Quinn slept best in the vibe chair so I let her... even at night for the first 12 weeks. Hugs.

Unknown said...

I always think of people's birthdays as a chance for me to say, "I am SO GLAD you were born!"

And Sarah, I am so glad YOU were born!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com