our planned c-section was scheduled for 8:30 am on thursday, october 22, 2009. Despite my misguided plans of one final and fantastic night of sleep, I slept not at all the night before. (what on earth was I thinking? I don't sleep the night before vacation or even before big parties and haven't had a good night's sleep since about month four!) The next morning, Mom and Johna came over early to sit with Nora while Denise, Joe, and I made our way to the hospital. We arrived at 6:30 am and were done with all pre-testing by 7:30 am. I was pretty nervous about the spinal block procedure. I'm happy to report that worrying about it was, without a doubt, the worst part of getting one. It was all very surreal -- lying around, chatting with Joe and Nisey... just waiting for the scheduled hour to meet our beautiful daughter. It was not at all like I had imagined that time, but still magically expectant with possibilities. Around 8:00 am, I was taken to the operating suite (located right on the labor & delivery floor, with a gorgeous view of autumn trees). Unfortunately, they could not allow Denise in the room because she is a minor -- instead she had to wait right outside the door where they would update her and she would be the one to accompany the new baby to the nursery. They administered the spinal block, the doctors arrived cheerful and joking and then Joe was at my side. Minutes later (after some tugging and even more complaining about the last surgeon's work) at 8:46 am, we heard the soft, melodic cry of Roberta Layne Mays (Birdy) entering the world. She measured 19.5 inches, weighed 8 lbs 9 oz and was named to honor my wonderfull loved and horribly missed dad, Robert Wayne . Joe left to accompany her to the nursery and the doctors worked to finish my side of things. In recovery, they all told me that between Joe and I, we had given them much more trouble than our baby ever had. While in the nursery, Joe became a little queasy and had to sit down -- not really a big deal -- especially considering that just a bit earlier he had cavalierly told me, "I just saw your bladder..." (those of you who know Joe, know that medical business can throw him a bit). Anyhow, I told the nurses that I thought it had been a splendid experience and thanked them for their care. They laughed and told me that my blood pressure had dropped dangerously low because I lost two times the amount of blood they would like to see in a procedure and had to be kept in recovery much longer than usual. They said that the baby was wonderful but that her mom and dad were trouble. This is just another silver lining in Nora's difficult delivery --- Birdy's delivery was a DREAM to us - regardless of the opinions of medical professionals.
27 October 2009
birdy's birth story
Around 11:30 am, I was moved to my room. I was wheeled in and there stood Nisey with her newest niece telling her that her mommy was coming. Oh, it was just wonderful in every way. I was able to hold my daughter and breastfeed her. It was love and complete devotion at first sight. She looks so much like her older sister that its a double wonderful experience -- one of just Birdy and one reminiscent of Nora. The whole experience was such a contrast to my first experience. In fact, the only negative to this experience was that Nora was not allowed up to the labor and delivery due to swine flu. I missed her so much and having to wait to share this with her was difficult. Luckily, my doctors worked to have me home by Saturday morning.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Birdy is so beautiful. I know your dad is brilliantly joyful. I'm just so happy for you.
Robyn said it all. I'm not sure I've been happier at a birth, but I have grinned a lot about this news. Hugs and kisses to Birdy.
Crying over here. She's beautiful. Congrats to you all.
Oh gorgeous Gorgeous, GORGEOUS! I'm so happy for you. Look what you grew! *sniff* Congrats, Sweetie, to you and your family!
Congratulations again, Sarah! Birdy is beautiful.
Post a Comment