was wonderful. He had a good time, Nora had a good time, and I had a good time. I hope that this is true for all of our guests, as well. It was so fun to celebrate this incredible man who I have been lucky enough to call mine. His thoughtfulness, generosity, humor, kindness, and intelligence are amazing. His actual birthday is on Wednesday – we went out for dinner to celebrate him on Friday night, I think I’ll make tacos (his fav) Wednesday night… Something… I don’t want it to go by without anything. There's just no predicting how I'll feel on any given night anymore and there's always algebra homework and the like...
Some party observations… We kept the menu pretty simple (and yummy) and it worked well – much less waste than when I try to please everyone and offer way too many options. I think part of the reason I had such a nice time was that I didn’t try to make everyone happy. Some people are shy or not social – me running to their side regularly does not change that. Beyond initial greetings and natural conversation, I just let people be whoever they are – even if it sometimes looks uncomfortable to me. It took the pressure off of me although it may not be the most hospitable I can be. Guest lists -- who shows up is sometimes surprising, but most often, it’s our core group that I cannot imagine having a party without. Similarly, those who don’t show (mostly family) really are not surprising. It’s not like we have that many events. Normally, we have a party for Nora each year and that’s it. For Joe’s 40th, I expanded the list a bit to include some extended friends and family. Anyhow… my question is: How many times can people not show for something before we quit inviting them? What do you do?
08 October 2009
joe's fortieth birthday party 10.03.09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I just keep inviting them just because. Not a personal plea to attend or anything like that, but what's an invite in the mail?
I take the too nice thing too far sometimes, though.
Happy Birthday Joe!
and on the invites, I stop giving them. why waste my time. My dad and stepmonster are off the list after attending only one of the 13 combined birthday parties we have had.
Happy belated birthday to Joe! I'm glad you all had a nice time. As for the invites, my in-law's live two hours away. After Chloe was born I invited them to every one of her birthdays for four or five years. They never came, so I stopped inviting them. I've never invited them for O or P's parties. They just don't come. We get along with them fine, they just don't make it a big deal to come to things (they send a card with $20). So, I say after four invites or so, stop inviting them.
Post a Comment