22 January 2008

Please don't let the driver be a murderous maniac.

Because I made Jordan call a taxi because he got up late and missed his bus. Poor thing is waiting out there in the cold now. Without a jacket (although he does have a hoodie on that he counts as a jacket). In the snow. I think he's just trying to make me feel bad.

When I ran into him in the dark hallway naked (thankfully it was DARK) and he told me he had missed his bus, I told him to let me get a shower and then I'd take him. (Side note: without the missing the bus thing it would be funny because we were talking through a wall.) In the shower I started figuring all of the my coordinates (mom coming to babysit at 8:30, deposition pre-meeting at noon downtown, school starts at 7:30, Nora hasn't been waking until 7:45, and on and on and on). Then, it hit me. I had not gotten up late. In fact, I had gotten up early. Got out of the shower, gave him the phone book open to taxis and a sheet with our address and school's address and told him to call around.

The good thing about this solution is that I didn't have to be mad at him. We could joke about how much it sucks to wake up late. Or, at least, I thought we were cool. Until he left without saying goodbye while I was on the phone...

I would love to really know what he thinks about all of this. Does he know that we're just guessing and trying to do our best? That we don't know the answers either?

Some good things about our relationship (to make me feel less bad): he tells me about little spats at school (for instance, Carly wasn't talking to him yesterday and he doesn't even know why), he cracks me up, he gets my humor, he's so kind to Nora, he really wants to do his best, I love this kid. And I know he'll forgive me a taxi cab.

One day.

1 comments:

Small Shake said...

I'm sure he will forgive you. It happens. Sounds like he is such a joy though. Really, you guys are doing great for adjusting to a 14 year old boy after a year of just a little baby girl :)

 
Template by suckmylolly.com