01 January 2008

Questions I've been meaning to answer, Part 1

1) You pull double shifts taking care of everyone else, yet you neglect yourself. What drives you to do this? Guilt that you're not spending enough time with your kids? Concern that you're falling behind in your career? List three reasons why you feel you can't slow down.
I neglect myself in the following ways: 1) I do not exercise, 2) I do not eat properly, 3) I do not get enough sleep, 4) I don't give myself credit for all that I do accomplish, 5) I easily hate myself for doing or not doing these things. I've never been sure why I do it. I feel as though I'm out of time and I suppose, that if I were to do all of those things, I'd be selfish given the time constraints of life. Some of it also feels like self-sabotage. Anyhow. Why can't I slow down? Because I'm afraid of failing. I'm afraid of not doing enough and I'm afraid of disappointing. I guess I'm afraid of losing everyone and everything if I don't do the right thing. Now imagine you have to slow down. What would happen?
I would hope that I'd find out that I'd lose no one and that the things that matter remain. It would be such a big adjustment emotionally, socially, and financially. I can't honestly say that it wouldn't be an improvement.

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com