12 January 2009

grandma's bread

my grandma made all of her food from scratch. One of my favorites, whose scent/taste/texture is laden with memories and joy, is her bread. I used to make it more often but now its been years. I decided on Friday to finally make it with Nora. The experience, without sounding to crazy, was almost spiritual in nature.
First, we mixed the ingredients:


And we mixed and mixed. Until we had nice dough:


Then it was time to knead (Nora preferred using her rolling pin) the dough. Like Grandma's recipe says... this is hard work but just think of how good your bread is going to be!


Now if you think the next picture involves us enjoying beautiful and delicious loaves, perhaps you stumbled over here from here or here, or even here (or any other number of mamas who seem to do this stuff effortlessly.) Our first attempt came nowhere near turning out. Something was wonky with the yeast, so we baked them and threw them in the compost heap. This Friday, we'll try again!

7 comments:

Dawn said...

I cannot believe you didn't link my blog....did you not see the cookies Z and I made for santa? LOL!! Totally kidding! I actually thought of Jacque and Alina before I even clicked on the "here's". Too funny!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't extremely successful with cooking with children...or cooking in general! :D
It is the experience that counts, and you gave Nora that. Way to go Mama!

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Come on, post the wonky bread photos....also, who is the 6 year old girl helping you in the pics?

Jacque said...

Looks like fun, even if it didn't turn out. Love Nora's sweet little hands in the pics. Try to have all your ingredients at room temperature, that helps when I make bread (but I mostly use my bread machine). I love the smell of bread rising and baking!

Jacque said...

p.s. It's hilarious you linked to my blog, don't you remember the cake that overflowed in my oven? LOL I've thrown plenty of stuff in the trash! ;) (But thanks for your confidence! <3)

Jacque said...

Sorry, last comment. I just looked at your grandma's recipe and it doesn't call for things that would be at room temp. ;) I use an egg, butter, and water and it's important for them to be at room temp. Good luck with your next attempt!

Rachael said...

Thanks for linking to my blog, but I think you are giving me more credit that I deserve :) I only have certain things that bake well for me and bread isn't one of them unless it's banana or zucchini bread. :) Can't wait to see how your second batch turns out!

Tiffany said...

I can never seem to get recipe's to work out right when they actually mean something (i.e. baking for a work party, etc.) Look at it this way, at least Nora learned an important lesson about failure, and she'l learn how to pick herself up from it later this week. :-)

 
Template by suckmylolly.com