07 May 2008

democratic primary

clinton won indiana by some 23,000 votes. Disappointing, but not a defeat, as I know that the republicans (a'la operation chaos -- what a shameful movement) showed up to vote for her. All morning I've been considering whether I would do the same thing if the parties had been switched. It's legal to vote in the other party's primary and to vote for a candidate you think your party can beat, but it seems unethical and is, without a doubt, crummy behavior. I'd like to think that I wouldn't go to the polls simply to cancel out the votes of others. Wasting the time, efforts and funds of your opponents and their supporters seems less than democratic to me. Disenfranchised? yep. Bitter? Hell yes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a better person than I. For, I would surely go and vote for the other party's least-electable candidate if I could. Alas, California has closed primaries.

Unknown said...

http://www.slate.com/id/2190780/?GT1=38001

We are still winning, though.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com