16 October 2008

utahpia

i've emailed and shared these photos all over the place, but need somewhere to keep them for us. We had such a wonderful time in Utah -- it was just what we needed. Having unscheduled time with Nora and Joe was just a joy. I'm so reluctant to return to real life.
We were nervous about Nora's first plane ride, but she traveled like a pro:
We stayed at the Park City Hotel which was just gorgeous. Here is the view from our room:
and the view at night: Nora loved the Christmas tree and used it many a time to get out of bed and check on it.
Joe had meetings the majority of the time we were in Park City, so Nora and I used the time to shop a little and chill a lot. Its just beautiful there although it is, hands down, the whitest place I've ever been. Like noticeable, eery white... We first went to get breakfast at a cafe on Main Street. The coffee was not great, but Nora LOVED this cow. So we hung out for a while. She shared her muffin with this lucky guy and gave him tons of hugs. Some advice for shopping in Park City with a toddler: Bring your sling or stroller! The way down is easy but going back up is killer. Nora would walk freely next to me for a few seconds and then 'tire' out. When we first got there, a car went by and Nora ran to me and said, "CARS! They'll hit us!!" (I have no idea where she's developed this fear) I reassured her that I would never let that happen. She then DRAMATICALLY wiped her brow and said loudly, "PHEW!" There is a free trolley which Nora LOVED riding. Unfortunately, it never seemed to show up when I (and my back) really needed it.
After a short nap, we walked around a bit and just had a great time.
She would look at the mountains and ask to 'cwimb' them. I know this must come from Joe's side.
On Friday, we headed over to Salt Lake City where we had a nice lunch downtown. MAJOR how could my camera battery be dead moment: After we parked for lunch, we needed to cross a busy street. There were flags for crossing. Nora and I were about to just jaywalk, but Joe INSISTED that we do it properly. He carried a flag across while Nora and I trailed sheepishly. Here's a picture of the flags -- how I wish I had my own... I guess MM's warning not to swear on the streets of SLC scared us straight. After lunch, we just hung out the hotel. Nora was running back and forth getting everything out. Joe and I were enjoying relaxing so much that we just let her. Here is just a sample of the rockstar's damage to the room within minutes: You can't really see the ground in Cheerios and pretzels. When my lazy self got up to inspect the damage, I asked her what on earth had happened here? She looked all around the room and then said, "I fell?" Nora displayed SUCH finesse ordering and handling room service that night that I'm a bit worried to present a regular dinner to her tonight.
The next day, we walked over to Temple Square and saw the Temple and such. I must say that the Mormon's disappointed us. After reading all of the travel pages warning against conversion attempts, it was like going to a gay bar and no one hitting on us. We're evidently not what they're looking for. Luckily, Chris let us in on the Gateway shopping center. Nora had a blast playing in the water there. It was just luck that we had another outfit with us. We bought Nora a Barack Obama doll/figure which she cuddles and loves. She was loving on it so much that our cabdriver back to the hotel gave her some of his Obama stickers which she also LOVED. We then headed out to Antelope Island for something to do and so that Nora could nap on the way. If you're out that way and have time, we loved Antelope Island. It was so gorgeous and unstructured. Nora slept all of the way out and woke up unhappy (normal for her naps) Not even the buffalo could cheer her. Luckily, we found a shop where we stopped for refreshment. She had her first 7-Up. It makes her make this face: But it sufficiently cheered her for more pictures and rock hunting and climbing. Here she is holding her baby rock while sitting on the daddy rock. Please don't turn us in, but we let her keep the baby rock and she's still hauling it around today. When we were headed back to the car she noticed a trail going up and REALLY wanted to 'cwimb' it. Joe and I were justifiably reluctant as she never walks on her own. To our surprise, she climbed all the way up with us AND all the way down. It was a blast.
On the way home, Nora had a meltdown, but was then comforted by reading the safety specs of our aircraft.
To close, a little 'Utah' humor:
liquor store sign:
SLC graffiti:
those bad asses wrote POOP on a window. You can bet I locked the car doors quickly after seeing that.

9 comments:

Dawn said...

GREAT pictures!! It sounds and looks like you all had a great time!!

Jacque said...

Welcome home! I'm glad you had a fun time. I love the pictures! You needed the Buxton for all of that sight seeing.

Unknown said...

I love how they include "spouse" in the acceptable liquor chaperones.

Nora is adorable, as always. I'm so proud of her climbing that trail!

OH, and if it makes you feel better, I'd be happy to hit on you.

Alina Klein said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! I lived in Utah for 8 years and I still miss those mountains. And, as for the temple experience, the thing about Utah is that *everyone* (except maybe a scary biker dude) is assumed to be Mormon until proven otherwise. For your sake, thanks be to Jesus.

Tiff said...

Looks like you all had a great time! you're pictures are great.

Hef said...

"I fell" ? Ha-larious!

Love the pictures.

Sounds like you had a great time.

And Nora is such a cutie.

Cindy said...

Wow those are some great pics. Nora is so adorable and funny!

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Glad you liked the Gateway! I love your sunglasses! The photos are great - although you and Joe look kinda sad in all of them. What's up with that? :-)

Kimberly said...

I love the mormon sign lol. that made my day! And the poop grafitti must have been terrifying. Thank goodness you all were ok

 
Template by suckmylolly.com