I grew up in a Dutch Reformed church. For those of you unfamiliar with these particular leanings, they rely heavily on John Calvin, Old Testament God, Guilt, and Xenophobia. While my parents never had issue with Halloween, we definitely kept it on the DL as it was not a Godly thing to celebrate. Many people pride themselves on not participating in such wickedness. Instead, they might celebrate Reformation Day . While admirable and certainly celebrated with the best of intentions, its not nearly as fun. When I reflect upon it as an adult, I'm not even sure its something to celebrate as it marks a huge division among people who all consider themselves "Christian." So, under the cloak of furtive shame, most of us still celebrated Halloween in some form. Interestingly, this is also how most of them drink alcohol or any other number of 'fun' things. Y. and I are trying to shake that cloak right off and making happy memories for our children and ourselves. We're shedding the cloak of shame and donning silly hats and scarves and makeup. Tonight, we'll all go trick or treating and then have a fun dinner at my mom's house.
Pictures to follow.
Pictures to follow.
maybe the seven year old shouldn't be in charge of the camera?


6 comments:
A bit of advice for fun-ness. Rubber gloves, filled with ice and frozen, make giant floating ice cubes. Enjoy!
I have a friend who doesn't do Halloween because of religious reasons. I think Halloween is what you make it. I'm not doing anything satanic or witch like when we dress up in fun costumes and eat candy. Making happy memories is the way to go. Have fun trick or treating and at your mom's. The kids and I are making candy apples and watching The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Duh - I meant rubber gloves filled with WATER and then frozen. I just had punch with grape and orange soda mixed. It made it black. AWE.SOME.
I had no idea you came from that background. Never would have guessed! I can't wait to see pictures from your fun night!
Uh..where on earth is Nora in that first picture? Running in the street? Jesus Sarah...did you have Caps with you? Cause I know how lax you get about caring for Nora when Caps is around.
LOL, Steph! She's on my hip behind her auntie!
and, yes, the captain came with...
Post a Comment