24 June 2008

active toddlers = active adults

i've read several articles lately underscoring the need for activities in the toddler years for learning, health, and future habits. Because Nora has a care provider who comes in everyday, I'm trying to come up with a system that will work for all of us. I want to ensure a balance of daily activities to include physical development, creativity, 'educational' endeavors, music time and unstructured play. What I'm doing now is compiling a list of ideal amounts of times for each type of activity. I'll then make a list of ideas to help whomever is caring for her each day when they're in a jam. I don't want to be a controlling employer and parent yet I do not want to risk valuable time for Nora to grow up strong. Also, many of these areas of development will obviously overlap. Nonetheless, I need to get it organized somewhere and here seems as good a place as any.

Here is the list I have so far of minimum daily requirements. Where I use 'structured' I mean adult-organized, adult-initiated, and Nora-led.

  • Physical Activity - 60 Minutes of Structured Physical/Active Play Daily (2001, Physical Activity for Kids, NYS WIC program) (2003, CA Dept of Public Health)
  • Reading - At least one scheduled reading time each day. (2006, http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/learning/reading_toddler.html)
  • Reading - At least 30 Minutes of Structured Reading Daily (numerous sources - why am i citing sources for myself?)
  • Creative Play - At least 30 Minutes of Structured Creative Play
  • Unstructured Play - minimum of 60 minutes daily of free, unstructured play (several hours - even better)

Four days a week, our care provider comes in from 8 am - 4 pm. The math would look like this:

8 total hours {minus} 1.0 hour structured physical play {minus} 0.5 total hour structured creative play {minus} 0.5 hour structured reading {minus} 2.0 hours for napping (around average for the provider -- for mom and dad, it's oddly much less) which {equals} 4.0 hours for eating, dressing, and unstructured play.

On days that we're home with her, we engage in the activities much more than the minimums (and still have time for that whiny Caillou). This is reasonable, isn't it?

5 comments:

steph said...

That damn Caillou...

This is a great idea, I can't wait to implement your plan here too!!

Hopefully your caregiver will be able to follow...NFYEK

:o)

Hef said...

Very reasonable. As a nanny, I've created our own "scedule" (I us that term loosely) that involves outings, story time, free play, project, and active play (usually playgroud or bouncy place). We typically do each "activity" at the same time each day, but some days our outings take away from story time, or active play prevents us from having project time, etc. I think it's great to have this all laid out for your CP, but I wouldn't put an outstanding amount of pressure on her to get each thing completed each day. It really helps for me to have a journal where I can log our activities (and meals, naps, etc) for the parent to look over, and I'm always open to hearing any concerns or requests they may have.

Unknown said...

Wow. Um... when I'm home with Rylie we just do whatever we feel like at the time. Your structure puts me to shame.

Kimberly said...

I am totally going to steal your plans without shame.

I'm not sure how Mr. Me will take his day being organized for him though :P

Tae said...

I'm totally stealing your plan too. Maybe. If I can get with the program. :P

 
Template by suckmylolly.com