18 June 2008

what's eating you

our yard is similar to a vast wilderness in the amount of neglect it received prior to us moving in. In fact, it's worse, because there are these random areas of buried glass (yes, broken glass -- tons of it. I wonder what they were trying to grow.), kingkong size rhubarb, and other random things I don't want. Each year, we stake our claim a little more -- mostly with very low maintenance perennials that we can later split. There are other areas that we will don't ever really want to 'take over', but I'm slowly adding lilies, hostas, phlox, and daisies so that at least I like to look in those directions. Anyhow, there are a few riddles I need to figure out.

Riddle #1: What is eating my hostas? I do not see ANY slugs. There are black ants around and a few flies... My hostas near the wooded areas get eaten by deer and I'm cool with that. This, is different and only in certain areas...

Riddles #2, #3, and #4: What are these 'weeds'? Do I want to try to get rid of them or allow them to continue?
eta possiblities from my google research... #1: garlic mint?, mullein, #2: Dock, poke weed? #3: queen anne's lace, wild carrot - DING DING DING!,

some pics of Nora from this morning

2 comments:

Jacque said...

I think slugs are eating your hostas, even if you don't see them. I've read if you put lids of beer out the slugs will get in the beer instead of your hostas. (I guess they get drunk and drown!)

Nora looks so pretty, and her hair is getting so long!

Unknown said...

Could she be any more beautiful?

I have a black thumb, so no help there. Sorry.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com