16 November 2008

at least i know i'm free

today was our veteran's appreciation ceremony and brunch at church. It was a beautiful and moving service followed by a delicious brunch and poignant speeches. The coordinators and volunteers succeeded in creating a gracious and formal event which I was proud to be a part of. They invited all families of active service members in the community and had more than a full house of respondents. My parents were invited and we were included with them because of my brother and sister. They were presented with the Service Flag which is to be displayed in homes with immediate family in the armed services during war time. The tradition started in 1917 and then gained popularity during WWII. Regardless of my (or any one's) views about the current war, I felt privileged to honor and show gratitude to the service members and their families.

2 comments:

Jacque said...

Everytime I see one of those flags in someone's window it always make me say a little prayer.

p.s. I 'm glad you're back to blogging. ;)

Unknown said...

That is perfectly lovely.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com