29 November 2008

love is a battlefield

nora has been in timeout for two hours. Two hours of alternating pitiful crying, yelling, playing, talking, moving around... it's killing me. Every two minutes for two hours now I have gone over to sugarfoot and asked her to say I'm sorry so that we can get on with our wonderful day, go to the store, stop time out, go do ANYTHING other than this. And every two minutes, my daughter has eagerly nodded at the get out part and emphatically said no to my request for the 'sorry.' I know she can say it. I know that she understands this process. I know that this is not going to kill her. It's breaking my heart and putting the screws to my Saturday shopping and making chili with my girl. I don't dare give in. I know that it will be a disservice to a little girl who is perfectly capable in all ways of handling herself in this situation. I want her to be strong, confident, good, ordered, smart, free, and loved. I don't want to fail her.

update: 2 hrs 25 minutes:

8 comments:

Rachael said...

I'll be praying for you...it's so tough to discipline when they are so cute. But if you give in you will regret it later. Just keep reminding yourself that you are a good parent and this is good for your child. It will make her a better person :) Hope this ends soon if it hasn't already.

Jacque said...

I'm sorry the time out was so hard, on both of you. Good for you for sticking to it. The picture is so precious. I hope the rest of your day was more enjoyable!

Anonymous said...

Awwww, poor Nora and poor momma. That is so so hard. But you are right you would absolutely be doing her a disservice by not following through, heartbreaking as it is.

(((((HUGS))))) to you because I know you're probably still hurting while she has forgotten!

And the picture is priceless.

Dawn said...

sweet picture....so did she apologize?? you were doing the right thing! you are a spectacular mom!!

Alina Klein said...

Wow, that must have been HARD! Way to stick to it. It will never be nearly that long again I'll bet. Please share an update!

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Good for you! I know it's hard, esp when she is so freaking adorable! She can rock the pout like no one!

Momma Trish said...

Aw. Booboo.

I just started timeouts recently, and my nugget does NOT like them at all. She apologizes RIGHT away, but I don't know if THAT'S effective either.

Oy. It's so hard.

Unknown said...

Kudos to you for your consistency. That must have been HEARTBREAKING for you. But you stuck to your guns. And you did it for your daughter. In the long run, she will be better off for it. Good Mama!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com