06 November 2008

letting it sink in

i've been in a protective state of disbelief for a day now. The news is so good that I don't even trust it. On election day, I was assigned to go walk door-to-door in a nearby community and talk to specific registered Democrat voters and remind them to vote, offer a ride, discuss issues, etc. I was disappointed in my assignment because it is a primarily 'red' town and I'd be alone rather than working with a team of excited supporters. The open glares from neighboring homes with McCain signs were uncomfortable. Being ignored at the door when I could hear the television was embarrassing. But one woman, Anna H., made it all worth it. She was an Obama supporter who had decided not to vote because of abortion. I expressed my views to her and encouraged her to go vote for someone -- anyone. I just hated to see someone miss the opportunity. After talking, she said that she was going to go vote right away. It was nice to 'matter.' I saw her later leave and I hope she made it to the polls to vote.
A friend of a friend and staunch Republican called her yesterday and told her that she and her husband had woken up with stomachaches because Obama had won. Part of me wants to say, "Now you know how we felt!" but a bigger part of me just feels sad about it all. I'm sad that what is hopeful and exciting and a victory for me is a blow to others. Jon Stewart explained the complicated feeling laconically (or maybe not) last night, "For the first time since I can remember, and this includes the Clintons, somebody is speaking in a manner that matches my sensory perception. In other words, for the past eight years... and even further back than that, I would walk outside and go, "Oh! It's sixty degrees, there's a light breeze... I could wear a light jacket. It's a lovely day." And then, I'd turn on the... Fox network [Chris Wallace was his guest] and they'd go, "It's snowing!!!!" And I'd think, "Wow. That doesn't match my perception of reality." This guy [Obama] speaks, I recognize him as human. He wears his frailty on his [motions arms]... Don't you think? Isn't it exciting?"

and another election sidenote... I told Nora that I was going to go work for Obama that afternoon and that in the evening, Daddy, Nora and Mommy would go vote for him. She said, "I help Barack Obama! I hold his hand."

1 comments:

Dawn said...

I did the door to door thing also on Sunday! I walked with 2 teenagers that traveled from Illinois to help (their mom's were on the other side of the street). I also dealt with a lot of McCain supporters and people not answering the door. But I felt good doing it anyway. I wanted to really be a part of all of THIS! I may have helped one girl. She was 18, and wasn't sure if she was registered because she never got a card. I gave her the number to call to check for sure, so that she could confirm her registration and then go VOTE!!
It is an amazing week isn't it?!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com