girls' night at m.'s was a hit. Y. and I rolled in around 4 am still full of conversation and laughter. I seriously do not know the last time I was up that late (early?) without a baby as the impetus for my awakening. What amazes me even more is that I still got up to go out to breakfast and church with Joe and Nora because I missed them. Obviously great conversation with great women needs to become part of my regular life because it energized me body, mind, and soul. Some observations:
- In that room of about 13 women, we had an insurance exec, banking execs, an attorney, social workers, a writer, an animal control officer, teachers, a massage therapist, an art therapist... I can't think of the others. Many of these women are also mothers, volunteers, and athletes. When M. and I talked later about it, she said that in any type of emergency, she'd LOVE to be in that room with those people. That combination of commitment, intelligence, openness, kindness, and passion... I'd have to wholeheartedly agree.
- That said, another thing that sticks with me is that each of these women carries their own insecurities, sorrows, and secrets. As we talked into the night, some of them presented themselves and some of them I already know. My lesson in this is to battle negative internal dialogue -- for even the best and brightest struggle with the same. Thinking something- anything - does not make it true.
- To quote my newest necklace, I am "good enough right now."


5 comments:
So glad you had such a good time with many amazing girls!! I like your necklace!
Sounds like you had an amazing evening! Your necklace is going to become my new motto! I love it!
I just read an article about internal dialogue. Amen, sista!
Sounds fun! Love the quote.
That sounds like a wonderful evening! And you're so right, and it's so sad, that we women are altogether too hard on ourselves. Yet it's so difficult not to be. I'm going to try to adopt the motto offered by your necklace as well. :)
Hope you get to do that more often!
Post a Comment