09 December 2008

what it's like

i’m sitting in icu with my dad. He’s ‘napping’ (as much as one can in the ICU) and I have my laptop with me so the time will pass a bit easier for me today. If I can stop studying his screens, I just might get some work done. That would ease my guilt about work some. My dad looks so much better. It’s really an incredible difference from Saturday when we thought we were going to lose him. He has color, jokes around a bit, and even eats some. His body isn’t expelling CO2 properly and when it builds up, it basically poisons him. He’s on a bipap machine helps take the CO2 out of his system and when he starts to become ‘benout’ (I’ve no clue how to spell that) as he and my mom call it, the bipap seems to really do the trick. My dad is agitated and confused in between being his old joking self. He removes tubes, IV’s, and monitors at will. They had to add a bed alarm because he got up in the middle of the night and started messing with things. I think he hears the beeping and tries to fix whatever he hears. When he’s not doing well, that’s where it gets terrifying. Some of the confusion talk is frightening when I wonder if some sort of permanent damage has been done. What’s scarier is when he desats. He seems to be fine and then suddenly, his blood oxygen levels plummet. His color fades and he starts to shake and it’s just simply unbelievable to me while it’s happening. Yelling his name, waking him, shaking him a bit all seem to correct the problem and then his numbers will shoot right back up to the 90’s. It’s just so frightening and unbelievable and unfair and wrong. And here’s what I really want to get down on paper. I’ve always imagined death as a process. I imagined that my loved one would slowly fade. Perhaps an illness that you never really come back from, a few hospitalizations, all the while slowly transforming into our purest form. I know that some people pass on (a whole other post – what word do you like for dying?) suddenly due to accidents, but still imagined perhaps reduced capabilities, and then reduced consciousness, and then the inevitable goodbye. When my dad was desatting this weekend, he was going from joking and complaining to nonresponsive. He’d be ‘gone-ish’ and then the ventilator gets hooked up and within a couple of hours, he’s right back to being himself asking for the television remote. So instead of this spiritual transformation I’ve imagined, it’s this mechanical battle. When the mechanics aren’t working, does that mean that the soul is ready for transformation? What if it’s not? What if I’m not? Is that all it is?
update: I just had to authorize them to intubate my dad if need be. How can this be happening? I keep telling myself that I’m overreacting and that he’s going to be just fine. Seriously, I’m just overreacting and then he desats and my denial gets tested. No worries. My denial is strong.
My poor little daddy. I just want to cuddle him up.

12 comments:

Jacque said...

More hugs to you, Sarah. What a difficult time! I am still praying.

Rachael said...

Sarah you are constantly in our prayers! Let us know if there is anything we can do to help your family out. Anything at all. May God give you the comfort and strength you need during this time. Just imagine his arms wrapped around you right now comforting you.

Dawn said...

I've been thinking of you and your dad a lot! I am still praying for him!! I wish I could give you a big hug right now!!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. You're being so strong.

Alina Klein said...

I'm there with you in spirit, Sarah. I was where you are, with my mom, four years ago last month and I'm hurting for you. I know those crazy thoughts and the denial. I hope that his doctors can get him stable and back home where he belongs.

I still see people cringe when I say that my mom "died". But there's no sugar coating it. She did. It's horrible no matter how it happens and I'm praying for you and your dad that you don't have to think about these semantics at all for MANY MANY years.

Hugs and love.

Lolita Breckenridge said...

((((((((Sarah)))))))))
It's not denial. It's hope. And as Churchill said: Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never. . . Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Kimberly said...

Such a scary time..hugs Sarah. I wish I had the right things to say.

Anonymous said...

As much as I wish I didn't know how you feel, I do. I hate that mechanics get in the way of peaceful transformations, as they did with my mom. I really hope this is not your dad's time and that he's back home, safe and healthy, very soon. Many hugs and prayers.

Unknown said...

Sarah, I have been praying for your dad. And for you.

This body/soul or mechanical/spiritual dichotomy of which you speak has actually been a topic of my thoughts lately. It's interesting that you bring it up.

I actually think there is a time to give up. When the struggle to keep someone alive ceases to be about that person, and becomes more about the needs of those he will leave behind... when the person's pain is greater than his joy... when the person looks at you and you can tell they are ready to move on... then it's time to let go. Because you love him and you know/believe/hope that he will be safe, happy, and free. And although you will miss him like crazy every single day for the rest of your life, you know you will be together again. And you know when that moment to give up, to let go, is, and maybe it gives you a little corner of peace.

Crying as I write this. I love you, Sarah. Please call if you need to.

Anonymous said...

God bless you & your dad Sarah. I'm sorry he's having such a hard time. I'll keep him in my thoughts & prayers!

Tae said...

I'm sure it gives him great comfort to have you there. Don't stress about work. Work can always wait, do whatever you need to do to help you and your family get through this. You and your dad will be in my thoughts.

Dayna said...

Sarah,
Oh many many hugs to you! My thoughts are with you and your dad. I pray all turns out well.
Dayna

 
Template by suckmylolly.com