15 December 2008

pride goeth...

i was just going to record how proud i was of nora because she asked for hummus and broccoli for a snack. We're pretty casual about her food and I just try to offer her good choices and for the less healthful snacks, I try to buy organic, etc. But I don't freak about it. I figure she averages a pretty healthful diet. Anyhow, I was so proud that she requested it...
until she fell down the stairs. Almost. Completely. Down. The. Entire. Open. Wooden. Staircase. She is fine now. I have yet to recover. It was even worse than my imagined child falling down those stairs scenario... and it turns my stomach to think about it. We've debated how much freedom to allow her on the stairs and I'm the one who decided that she could go up and down herself. She normally does so well. My poor baby -- everything moves, she's not lethargic, didn't vomit, and isn't complaining about anything. I gave her some milk and Tylenol and cuddles and cuddles. I feel so guilty. And then I feel even more guilty because I've turned her accident into my issue. I see therapy in her future.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh poor Nora. Big HUGS and kisses to her and momma. She's ok and you will be too. :)

Rachael said...

Hope Nora is okay. I know we mommies sometimes make things a bigger deal that they are, but our babies are only little once...right? My heart flips out every time Isaac takes a tumble. (which seems to be a lot lately since he is now trying to run when he still learning how to walk).

Jacque said...

Oh no! I'm glad she's okay. I think most things like that are worse on the mommy than the child. ((Hugs))

Alina Klein said...

Oh, I'm SO sorry that happened! That's one of my worst nightmares and one that replays over and over in my mind. I'm SO sorry you had to see it in real life! I'm glad she's okay! But her poor mommy...

SaRaH said...

Thanks to all of you. Alina, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who imagined the scenario over and over again. So, here's my question... Do your little ones go up and down the stairs unassisted? (i'm cringing here to find out if i'm irresponsible...)

Dawn said...

Poor Sarah and Nora!! I am glad she is okay! I think only the best mom's would make their child's accident their issue too. Nora is a part of who you are, so if she has an accident of course it is your issue too!

Tiff said...

Big hugs to both of you! Every time Makenzy walks up or down the stairs I always cringe and imagine her falling down them. you're not alone!

Lolita Breckenridge said...

It's a sign of how good a mom you are that you care. I used to fall down our basement (metal edged) steps when I was little. Like more than once. To the age that I actually still remember it. I guess I was a klutz. But the point is this - it was never a big deal to me. It's not your fault that Nora fell. Kids fall. AND come on, you are some kind of miracle worker mommy if she's asking for broccoli and hummos.

Tae said...

I worry about that too Sarah, but yes, I also encourage Vanessa to walk up and down the stairs unassisted. I hope Nora feels better soon!

Unknown said...

Thank God she is okay, mama!

I tell Rylie not to worry, I have her therapy fund already started.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com