10 June 2008

why am i on this tightrope when i meant to be a lion tamer?

i'm struggling again to find balance. I keep trying to change how I track my 'things to do', my expectations, my goals, and my perspective... but I just haven't stumbled upon the proper mix. I use a Franklin Covey paper planner for daily things and appointments and then I have two legal pads -- one for work and one for home. Everything gets put on the legal pad regardless of priority and then each morning, I choose one or two priority items off of each pad to accomplish. Anything else is gravy. This is workable but I'm not coming away feeling accomplished or, minimally, not terribly stressed. Each morning and evening are dedicated to Nora -- which leaves late night to me. In this time, I need to balance spiritual, emotional, physical, intellectual, and creative endeavors. how do other people do everything they appear to do? is there a magic formula? and if there isn't, how can i learn to let it all go and be okay?

2 comments:

Hef said...

I think this is something EVERY mother deals with, in varying degrees. I wish I had the answer. If you figure it out, please fill me in.

Unknown said...

I'm trying to figure out how to answer you.

The truth is, there are certain things that just don't get done. Such as vacuuming. And you figure out how to be okay with that. and I try to tuck little bits of me time in where I otherwise wouldn't... like when I get off work a little early I'll stop and get a pedicure. Or, when Rylie is happily playing on her own, I'll write in my jorunal instead of emptying the dishwasher. (and then have Dan empty the dishwasher when he gets home.)

It really helps me to compartmentalize: work at work, home at home. Never the twain shall meet.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com