10 February 2009

how could they

that little gem is on my little sister's myspace page. Please do not think that we allow/encourage such language, but it's myspace, she's a teenager, and really, it's pretty funny. And apt. And so appropriate for today's post. One more caveat: if you know my family, I beseech you to hold the information I am about to share in the strictest of confidence. I only know of a few readers who have that crossover and I am certain of their loyalties. If there is someone else and you feel unable to maintain complete confidence, please leave now. I need this place and don't want to censor my story.

My little sister was born with HIV. She is wonderful, bright, loving, kind, funny, enchanting, and healthy. Her supposed best 'friend' was angry with her and chose to share her status with another person on Monday. My sister dealt with it as best she could. She was out of school today because she had to go to clinic. This afternoon, she began receiving horrible phone calls and text messages. Here's a sample to help you understand: "UR A DISGUSTING WHORE WITH HIV!!!! WE ALL KNOW IT!!!!" My sweet baby called me so hysterical I couldn't understand a word. And when I finally understood her words, I could not understand this world. All I could do to help was go to her. I was out at a client location and left to pick up Joe and Nora and we went to Mom and Dad's for dinner and a strategy meeting: Here's what we came up with: Tonight, she'll stay here and tomorrow morning I'll take her for a manicure and to have her eyebrows done. We'll then have a meeting with administrators at her high school with our mom and hope that we have a workable plan that allows her to return to school feeling strong and safe. That's all we have. That, and your prayers, which we covet.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

I truly don't understand people. I don't understand why people have to be so cruel in general.

Hez said...

Hugs and prayers.

Rachael said...

Some people can be SO cruel. I understand high school is a difficult age, but what kind of person (no matter what their age) could do this to another person, let alone someone they had considered as a friend. Your sister will be in my prayers. May God give her the peace and strength she needs right now.

Dawn said...

I hate that some people can be so cruel! I hope everything gets worked out! If anyone is able to make things better for her, I am SURE it would be her big sister!! She's lucky to have you!

Anonymous said...

That's horrible, Sarah. I'm so sorry. Many prayers and hugs for your sister

Lolita Breckenridge said...

Well, how did the meeting go? Do we have to converge on that school and kick everyone's arses or what? I'm only half joking. Also, my word verif is imbousl. Which is how those asshats would spell imbecile. See? Even the word verification knows who is right in this. xoxo

Alina Klein said...

I really hope that the school administration is made up of intelligent and compassionate people who can come up with a plan to get her through this with as little mental anguish as possible. I'd be tempted to just remove her from the school completely. Teenagers can be so horrifying. :( I will definitely keep her, and you, in my thoughts and prayers.

SaRaH said...

Thank you guys so much. Chris, I've updated the meeting with those imbousls. <3

 
Template by suckmylolly.com