and i don't mean the gig -- i mean actually, physically staying. at. home. When we first decided that I would become a stay at home mom, I made a gargantuan list of things that I would do in each room of the house. Spring cleaning things, detail things, and things that I simply hadn't gotten around to while working outside the home. I was so excited and I figured I could do one room a day (with some exceptions) on any day that we actually would be home all day. My first day that this occurred, I learned that I had mistakenly left out a two and a half year old and a pregnancy out of my "room a day" equation. I got almost half the kitchen done and thought, "Oh! I'll just have to adjust my plan to one room every TWO days that we're home." Only... we haven't had another day at home. In two weeks. For real. That's not to say that we've been wasting time -- we've accomplished great and worthy things: Nisey will attend a new school come fall that is 50% African American, we've found Mom a possible new home near our home that will accommodate the new school district, we're working to put Mom's current home on the market by next week, we've gotten Susie's disability approved and have an appt with Job Corps for her, I'm working on some print projects for a local Breast Cancer walk, we've gotten the garden loosely 'started' and added a compost bin and rain barrel, we've read books, played, laughed and visited with friends and family, and most of the time we have clean, put away clothes, and some groceries. Next is a therapist for N, and college appointments for B. I could say that I need to learn to say 'no', but everything on that list is more important than deep cleaning and organizing. I'm sure there come a day when things are more settled and we'll get that list knocked out. Until then, it's a balancing act that I might as well learn to enjoy. Any tips will be greatly appreciate.
28 April 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
It's a wonderful life, no? Deep cleaning is overrated.
Deep cleaning IS overrated. Save the indoor stuff for the hot hot summer days....
It has taken me nearly 2.5 years to actually stay home more than we are on the go. Give yourself some time and it will settle down....
Part of it for me now is I am 26 weeks along and have very little energy, mornings are great but I am beat by the afternoon.
Seriously for deep cleaning, try a room a week :)
Life is busier when you are taking care of 2 families :) I totally know what you mean. I've gotten around to cleaning out one closet every 4-6 mos. If I try to do more than that it doesn't ever get done anyways. Plus can a house really ever be perfectly cleaned and organized all at one time....I don't think it's possible :)
Sarah, God has given you this amazing, aMAYSing (lol) gift. You are gifted to take care of people. Your love, your spirit, your passion, your administration, you put it all into cultivating and cherishing your family. And I mean family in the largest sense of the word.
I stand in wonder at all you do to invest in the lives of others.
At the end of our lives, no one is going to stand up at our funerals and say, "She had a really clean house." At least, I hope not because that would just be sad.
Thank you guys so much. Robyn, you made me cry. In a nice and pleasant sort of way. I'm lucky to have you guys.
Post a Comment