15 March 2009

tributes

here is what was written and read by some of my us at Dad's funeral:


Denise, Age 14
A grandpa, a father, an uncle, and a friend. He stuck it out to the very end. In times of grief God brings us together. Like when today is rainy, tomorrow will be better. And if you didn't think that he was watching us while he was here, just think of how he's watching us now! Look up to the clouds and you'll see him smile. There's no need to drown yourself in your tears. And there's no need to frown because he's not here. So now I can say bye bye Daddy here on earth because God thinks that you finished your work here on earth. So don't be sad, smile, get glad. God couldn't have ever picked a better father to be in my life. My Daddy always did what was right, never wrong. I remember when he told me that I was strong and a strong woman I will be. And when I look up in the sky, Daddy will be smiling right at me. I cherish the days that I had with my father because you never know how much you loved him til you lost him. But I didn't lose anybody... I think we grew closer. Did you forget my Daddy was a soldier? So don't cry, here's a tissue wipe your eyes. Don't look down, look up high because my daddy's in the sky. In the end, everything will be okay. And no matter what I did in the past, he'll love me anyway. Even though I'm only fourteen, I know I'm young but you can see what a woman Daddy's made me to be. Because even though he might be gone, his love will still stay strong. So for everyone today, my daddy is still a grandpa, a father, an uncle, and a friend. And my daddy's love will never end.



Becca, Age 19, written on a coffee shop menu

I'm going to start out with some things Daddy used to say:

"Sarah's dad can do anything"

"If you don't shut the door, we're going to be heating the outside"

"Go ask your mother."

"What did your mother tell you?"

"You know you're my favorite, right?" (mind you, he said that to every one of us)

"Cheese and crackers!"

"Gimme some sugar"

"Tell me about your day"

They say that any man can be a father, but it takes a special man to be a daddy. My daddy was definitely a very special man. He was a kind, caring, hardworking, slow to anger, respectful, God fearing, and loving daddy.
He was also a fighter. He fought his sickness until the very end and even then left on his own terms -- at home, in his favorite chair, surrounded by his loving family. He always fought for what he felt was right. From making sure us kids had a proper home to getting our curfews extended or getting us ungrounded faster. He also tried his best to be a healer -- from band aids to broken hearts.
I have many memories of my daddy that I will cherish in my heart forever. I hope to someday find a man that is half the man my dad was and will remain to be in my heart. I love you, Daddy.

Joe, Age 39, notes for his speech
It is a joy and honor to be Bob's son-in-law. He has been an inspiration and role model
as a husband, father, and handyman.
He had an almost magical ability to get Lyle Lovett tickets at Ravinia -- where you could actually sit in chairs!
I had the good fortune of marrying his daughter on their 40th wedding anniversary where they renewed their vows.
This family is filled with his love and kindness. They welcome you with open arms and spirits.
His sense of humor is evident when Johna tells me jokes -- she knows which ones...
As far as a handyman he would always show incredible patience when I decided to "measure once and cut twice." He would be there to fix the problem. In his guidance and teaching, you might hear such things as, "Measure twice and cut once" which confused me because he would also say, "We're not building a piano here." Once I bent a nail with my hammer and he said, "Sure is windy in here!"
He also had a firm and sincere handshake. At the end of dinner prayer, he would always give your hand an extra squeeze.
Many of these things I'm passing to my daughter and nieces and nephews. Without his guidance, the projects will take twice as long and be half as fun. His beautiful family will always be a constant reminder of the most incredible and influential man I've ever known. I will always miss him dearly.

Mine, age 36, read by Y. bc I'm nowhere as brave as my little sisters, but she is.
When I was little (and even when I wasn't), my dad would fix the unfixable and find the unfindable. When a seemingly irreparable situation would present itself, he'd look at me and say, "Sarah's dad can do anything." (He also said this to each of my sisters, although oddly, he would change the saying to their name). I think Gina said it best that with Dad in the world, you knew that somebody had your back. It now feels unprotected and scary. He'd offer to mortgage the house to fund a dream or assure me that anyone who didn't think I was the best thing to come along was obviously blind and stupid. Now, I'm just not sure how we'll find our way without him. I don't know what to say to capture how loving he was and how loved he is. I can just share a few memories with you.

  • When I was a kid, he'd draw up plans for 'playhouses' at my direction. Multiple story creations with classrooms, fire poles, slides, and gymnastic areas. He never once told me it couldn't be done.
  • I think he told all of us that we're his favorite.
  • He gave us EVERYTHING.
  • He made up jokes. Funny or not, I love to think about him tossing them around in his mind.
  • I love coins. A lot. And I love them because I would always find them while walking with Dad. I was an adult walking with Dad and my little sisters when I figured out he threw them ahead of us to find.
  • He loved my mom. Like a LOT. Truly loved her.
  • In the glint of his eyes, you could see the little boy that he had been.

There are too many wonderful memories to share here today. If a man's measure has anything to do with how many people count him as their 'Dad', then my Dad lived a full and wondrous life. I used to be jealous when friends told me they wished he was their dad I now am only proud and forever grateful.

6 comments:

Lolita Breckenridge said...

I don't know who is more blessed: him or you. I think I'll call a tie.

steph said...

I love them all...what wonderful memories you all have. Everyone should be blessed to have someone like him in their lives for one day.

verification word = anicrupe, think thats food?

Dawn said...

All such beautiful words!! You all did your dad proud!

He sounds like an AMAZING person!!

Jacque said...

Now I have to go redo my mascara. ((((Sarah))))

Unknown said...

Love you Sarah.

Kimberly said...

all wonderful words. I miss him for you.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com