i didn't feel like going to bed on time so i am sitting here watching "Blindsided," a documentary about a Jared Hara - young boy stricken with Leber's Optic Neuropathy which caused him to go blind at the age of eleven. A sad story, for sure. Although one of Jared's friendships, in particular, is a beautiful example of true friendship. But something is off. Really off. And it's his parents -his father, especially- come off as such selfish, ungrateful, entitled assholes that I have trouble summoning up any sympathy for anyone other than Jared. His father says things like he hated his wife because she had passed down this unknown, rare genetic disease to his son. He eventually leaves the family. They both dwell within their own misery about this horrible disease to the exclusion of enjoying their self-described, almost perfect life.
I'm sure I sound like a horrible, hard-hearted person, but I do feel for Jared. Jared, who I hope has no use for my sympathy because he seems to be creating a pretty nice life for himself. In spite of his ridiculous parents.
Please tell me that somebody else has seen this film...
29 March 2009
blindsided. perhaps i have no heart.
Posted by SaRaH at Sunday, March 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Nope, haven't seen it so you are just coldhearted...It reminds me of a Paula Abdul song...
"Shes a coldhearted snake...look into her eyes..Oh OHOH she's been tellin' lies..Shes a snarky girl at play..she don't play by rules..OH OH...Jared don't play the fool now."
Verification word: Extrepmo..sounds like a rare musical disease doesn't it?
I haven't seen it, but you'd think they'd have some compassion for their son, rather than a pity party for themselves. When tragedy strikes, you can pull together or you can drift apart. Like Joey and Tony. Right?
Post a Comment