01 July 2008

pretty cute for a tough shit

Y. had to have a scheduled hysterectomy today. She's always such a tough shit and prides herself on it -- yet has the kindest, most open heart you could stumble upon. Knowing that, I have no explanation for why I obeyed her when she told me not to take the day off and sit a the hospital with D. When her surgery had gone over the estimates by two hours, I could no longer take texting D. back and forth. I hopped in the car and headed on over there. It was nice to sit with him and I'm sorry I didn't keep him company all day. Evidently the mass was much larger than they had estimated (they had estimated a large softball). {how come modern medicine is wrong so often? there were MRI's, ultrasounds, biopsies. you'd think they'd know exactly what they were headed for.}

When she was finally brought up, it was a joyous relief to see her beautiful face. I about shoved her over in the hospital bed so I could climb in and cuddle with her. It reminded me of Steel Magnolias when D. turned on the television while I darkened the room, closed the door, and got extra blankets. As Maya said when she encouraged me to get over there -- this is not the arena of men. They have no idea what to do.

Y. was still in a haze when I had to leave but at one point looked sleepily over and saw me there and gave me the brightest, biggest smile. Like major wattage -- the kind you'd only get from a child or drugged up lady. She's pretty cute for a tough shit.

1 comments:

Jacque said...

I hope Y heals quickly! Glad you made her smile!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com